Today, there are lots of choices when it comes to frameworks that you will use for your projects. In this matter, a lot of people opt for Bootstrap or Foundation. Even so, the building blocks as well as the materials in this framework are too space consuming, making it not applicable for those simple websites out there. If this is the case, then you need to find the best alternatives. Here are 10 lightweight alternatives to Bootstrap & Foundation that you can take into account:
- Skeleton – This framework has just recently undergone a major innovation, making it to be more efficient to use now. Even though it has undergone major changes, its lightweight feature still remains. It is built with a mobile-first philosophy, and this is the main reason why it is very accessible even in the smallest screen of a device like smartphone. Some of the important components from its older version are still present here like the input elements, forms, and buttons.
- CardinalCSS – This is a CSS framework that has its main concentration on three major aspects, which are maintainability, readability, and performance. Some modern approaches are also adopted by this framework like the mobile-first approach. This is very important in order to shape up the grid. With this framework also, it will be simple for you to determine element height and width, thanks to its CSS Box Model.
- ConciseCSS – It is a lean CSS framework that has excellent CSS maintainability feature. It is all thanks to the Stylus, LESS, and Sass incorporated into it. It is also available in a very simple form, which incorporates vanilla CSS. Essential elements for base styles are also available with ConciseCSS. Some of these important elements are helpers class necessary in creating button UI, headings, forms, tables, and paragraphs.
- PowertoCSS – This is a solid frontend framework, but of course, it has great lightweight feature. Building the grid here can be easily done, and it is all thanks to its simple to remember apply styles and class names. What is even the best about it is that it is possible for you to incorporate your very own theme, based on your preference. In order to get started, you need to go for its StarterKit.
- Furtive – More advanced web standards are observed in developing this CSS framework. Just like any other lightweight Bootstrap & Foundation alternatives out there, Furtive also has its mobile-first feature. Rem unit is used in sizing elements just like the font size. And in building the grid, Flexbox is being utilized. If you are planning to have a website that you can use in the future, then Furtive is the perfect framework for you.
- BassCSS – What you can expect from this alternative are color styles, layouts, utilities, and base element styles that are of course, lightweight. These are made available in modular forms, so that it would be easy to come up with a very responsive web application. In order to customize the styles without any sweat, SCSS files are incorporated.
- Tuktuk – The right amount of important components in building a website you want is available in this framework. With that being said, it is just right to say that it is very lightweight when compared to others, or when compared to the popular Bootstrap or Foundation. It’s a very unique framework, which is why many people want to try it. Some of its important components are UI, tables, and basic typography styles.
- Toast – If you will go for this particular framework, then you should expect to also take advantage of the SCSS stylesheet. With this alternative, configuring the column-base, the gutter, and even the grid class names can be done very easily. Meaning to say, instead of 12, you can have the 9-base column base of grid if you want to.
These are the 10 lightweight alternatives to Bootstrap & Foundation. Take advantage of these frameworks, and make your own simple and functional website.