With the home to several cultures and different minorities, India is one of the countries of the world where numerous different languages are spoken. People belonging to different regions had brought their languages with them and as the time passes by that language are adopted by many other people communicating and interacting with them.
So here is the list of top 10 languages in India that are spoken by the natives of India:
10. Odia: one of the spoken languages in India is Odia. This language is the Indian language that belongs to Indo -Aryan branch of the Indo- European family of the language. This language is native to the state of India called Odisha. Almost 80 percent natives of this state of India speak the language of Odia and some people of the states of West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh. It is the 6th Indian language that has privileged to be the Classical language in India. Almost 32 million people of India know and speak the language of Odia that makes 3.2 percent of the total population of India.
9. Malayalam: another famous language of India is the Malayalam which is also referred to as Kairali. This language is spoken predominantly in the state of Kerala in India and is the official language of this state. It is also a classical language of India. This language belongs to Dravidian language family of language and it is spoken by almost 38 million of people in India. This language is not only spoken in Kerala but also spoken in the states of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. And almost 3.21 % of the total population of India speaks and knows Malayalam.
8. Kannada:another famous language of India is Kannada that is spoken by almost 40 million people of India. Kannada is the Dravidian language that is predominantly spoken in the states of India including Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Goa. This language is also listed in the world’s 33rd most spoken languages in the world. This language is spoken by 37 million people in India that makes up almost 3.69 % of the total population of India.
7. Gujarati:Gujarati is an India Aryan language that is the official language of Gujarat. The modern Gujarati is currently spoken by wide number of people in India. This language is the part of Indo- European family of languages. Besides spoken in the state of Gujarat, it is also spoken in the states of Dadra, Nagar Haveli and Daman. This language is spoken by almost 46 million people in India which makes up 4.48 percent of the total population of the India.
6. Urdu:next language which is one of the most spoken languages in India. Urdu is the national language of the countries like Pakistan and Lingua Franca and also of the 6 states on India. Urdu is scattered all across the country of India mainly in the states of Jammu Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Delhi. The ratio of the Urdu speakers in India is almost 51.5 million people that make almost 5.1 percent of the total population of India.
5. Tamil:next extremely spoken languages in India are the language of Tamil which is one of the oldest languages in the world. It is the Dravidian language which is spoken mostly in the areas of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka and also in Sri Lanka. It is also the official language of Sri Lanka and Singapore. Tamil is known to considerable people of India which is 61 million and makes up 5.91 percentage of the combined population of India.
4. Marathi:it is an Indo Aryan language that is spoken predominantly in the areas of Maharashtra, Goa and in Western India. It is the principal and mother language of almost 71.9 million people in India which comprised approx. 6.99 % of the total population of India and makes the 4th most spoken language in India.
3. Telugu:the top third most spoken language in India is Telugu which also belong to Dravidian language and spoken by almost 74 million people in India predominantly in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Yanam, Maharashtra, Karnataka and also in Tamil Nadu. The total population which knows Telugu and speaks in India is almost 7.19 percent.
2. Bengali: the one of the most spoken languages in India but also in the world is Bengali. This language is native to Bengal and spoken in significantly in the areas of West Bengal, Tripura, Assam and also in some parts of Bangladesh. It spoken by 83 million people with the percentage of 8.11.
1. Hindi: obviously featuring Hindi on the top because it is the official language of India. It is also referred as Standard Hindi and is spoken considerably in the areas of Bihar, Delhi, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh and also in Uttar Pradesh. Hindi is spoken in India by almost 422 million people that make up 41.3 percent of the total population.